How to patch ESXi 5.0
A short memo about patching ESXi 5.0 without Update Manager:
- Download VMWare patch, in my case I downloaded recently released Update 1 for ESXi 5.0:
- upload zip file to ESXi datastore
- check that ESXi shell and SSH access is running:
– connect to ESXi with vSphere Client, then open Configuration tab, select Security Profile, open Properties
– check that ESXi shell and SSH are running, if not then turn them on:
- shutdown all VM’s
- use whatever ssh client you prefer to connect to ESXi host as root
- install patch with the esxcli (change path to the patch appropriately):
esxcli software vib install --maintenance-mode --depot /vmfs/volumes/datastore2/ISO/VMWareUpdate1/update-from-esxi5.0-5.0_update01.zip
Note that everything must be on the same line!
- reboot ESXi host
I had a severe network performance problems with base 5.0 release that installation of Update 1 fixed.