OracleXE on Windows7
I was utterly surprised when I found out today that OracleXE installs and runs on Windows 7 Enterprise (32-bit) flawlessly. [Note: I run Windows 7 as a guest inside VirtualBox machine with merely 756MB of RAM].
Can’t even remember when was the last time when I worked with XE. Based on my recent experience with Oracle10g R2 installation on my Windows7 notebook I certainly didn’t expect that OracleXE would install without a hitch, but I’m glad that it did! I decided to test OracleXE on Windows 7 for the purpose of small in-house project, nothing spectacular but nevertheless the care should be taken to properly protect OS and XE database.
I installed OracleXE for Western Europe with LATIN1 and then changed the code page to Eastern Europe LATIN2, more precisely to EE8MSWIN1250 as I already wrote once. I don’t need nor want unicode for this particular project.
When deployed to production adding at least one additional copy of control file plus redo log mirroring is also something it must be done, unless it’s a “toy” database with worthless data.